Basketball Championship Paris 2024 It will be a show that should not be missed under any circumstances and can hold many surprises. If the US has won every women’s gold medal since then Atlanta 1996 And the Beijing 2008 For men, the level of other nations has risen dramatically over the years.
Will a new Olympic champion be crowned in two years?
The first clues can come from international competitions and Olympic qualification tournaments. And everything starts with FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup 2022September 22.
Find out the answers to the most frequently asked questions about the Paris 2024 Basketball Qualification System.
How many basketball players will participate in Paris 2024?
what a total 288 players (24 teams) You will participate in basketball tournaments in Paris 2024 Olympics. The number is the same for women and men: 144 for each type.
In both tournaments, 12 difference You will collide.
Each species was assigned a quota in the host country, France. However, this place for the host country is subject to the decision of the IBF Central Council, which will be taken on June 30, 2023. If during this meeting the central office does not allocate a place directly to the host country, the number of qualified teams will be increased through the regular process accordingly .
Read also – Paris 2024: The search for qualification for the Olympic Games begins
What is the basketball qualification path for Paris 2024?
The rehabilitation process will be significantly different for women and men. Contact to find out all the details.
1. The first competition to be given a direct berth for Paris 2024 will be the FIBA 2023 Basketball World Cup, scheduled from August 25 to September 10 in the Philippines, Japan and Indonesia.
In all, seven stakes will be allocated during the World Cup, distributed among the best teams from each continent in the final standings as follows:
- Two for the Americas
- Two for Europe
- one for africa
- one for asia
- one for oceania
2. The last four stakes will be allocated by the qualification tournaments for the Paris 2024 Olympic Games. There will be two rounds in each of these tournaments: the pre-qualifying tournaments (FTPQO) and qualifying tournaments (FTQO). Details are listed below.
Pre-Olympic Qualifiers (FTPQO)
A total of 40 teams will participate in the FTPQO, with the latter selected from previous FIBA Basketball World Cup qualifiers. Of these 40 teams, 28 teams will have participated in the second round of FIBA 2023 Basketball World Cup Qualifiers but will not qualify for the final stage. The top 12 remaining teams will be ranked among those who did not qualify for the second round of World Qualifiers.
Five teams of these FTPQOs will qualify for the FTQOs.
The teams eligible for FTPQO will be distributed by continent as follows:
- Eight teams from Africa (one will qualify for the FTQO)
- Eight teams from the Americas (one will qualify for the FTQO)
- Eight teams from Asia (including Oceania) (one will qualify for the FTQO)
- Sixteen teams from Europe (one will qualify for the FTQO)
Olympic Qualifying Tournament (FTQO)
In total, 24 teams representing all continents will be able to participate in the FTQO.
There will be four tournaments with six teams each, with the winner of each tournament qualifying for the Paris 2024 Olympic Games.
The participating teams will be divided as follows:
- A team from Africa, the highest-ranked team in the FIBA 2023 Basketball World Cup 2023 that did not qualify directly for the Games.
- A team from the Americas, the highest-ranked FIBA 2023 Basketball World Cup 2023 team that did not directly qualify for the Games.
- A team from Asia, the highest-ranked FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023 team that did not qualify directly for the Games.
- Sixteen teams, the next highest-ranked team in the 2023 FIBA Basketball World Cup that did not qualify directly for the games.
- African team of FTPQO
- Team Americas from FTPQO
- Asian team from FTPQO
- Two European teams from FTPQO
1. The first competition to offer a direct ticket to Paris 2024 will be the 2022 FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup (FWBWC), scheduled from September 22 to October 1 in Australia.
A share will be allocated to the winner of the FWBWC.
2. The last 11 quota seats will be allocated through the qualification tournaments for the Paris 2024 Olympic Games. There will be two rounds in these tournaments: the pre-qualifying tournaments (FWTPQO) and qualifying tournaments (FWTQO). Details here:
FIBA Women’s Olympic Qualifying Tournaments (FWTPQO)
A total of 22 teams will participate in FWTPQO. There will be two four-team tournaments in Asia and the Americas, and one six-team tournament in Africa. The top two teams from each tournament will qualify for the FWTQOs.
The participating teams are selected based on the results of the FIBA Women’s Continental Cup 2023, with the highest ranked teams qualified, as follows:
- Six teams from Africa
- Eight teams from the Americas
- Eight teams from Asia (including Oceania)
Please note that the Women’s World Cup winner, if not European, will participate in these FWTPQOs.
FIBA Women’s Olympic Qualifying Tournaments (FWTQO)
A total of 16 teams, representing all continents and geographies, will qualify for these FWTQOs. There will be four tournaments for every four teams. In principle, each continent/geographical region should host one of these eligible tournaments.
The top three seeded teams from each tournament will qualify for the Olympics.
The teams participating in FWTQO are distributed as follows:
- Two teams from Africa (qualified through FWTPQO in Africa)
- Four teams from the Americas (qualified through the Americas FWTPQO)
- Four teams from Asia (Teams from Asia and Oceania qualified through FWTPQO in Asia)
- Six teams from Europe (France + top five teams from the last European Women’s Basketball Championship)
Please note that the FIBA Central Office reserves the right to confirm whether FWTPQO will occur prior to January 1, 2023. If FWTPQO has not yet been played, the specified number of teams on each continent will qualify for the FWTQO directly from the 2023 FIBA Women’s Cup.
In addition, the host country of the Olympic Games and the winners of the FWBWC 2022 will participate in the FWTQO.
What is the calendar for the basketball competition in Paris 2024?
Basketball competitions will be held in Paris 2024 from From 27 July to 11 August 2024.
The initial phase is currently scheduled for Pierre Moroy Stadium in Lillewhile the final stage will be played inPercy Arena in Paris. However, at this time, this remains subject to approval by the IOC and related conventions.
Read also – The schedule of competitions for the Olympic Games in Paris 2024 is known
Basketball players to watch in Paris 2024
The United States will once again be the team to be defeated at Paris 2024. The men’s team has won the last four gold medals in play, including the most recent at Tokyo 2020, where they lost France in the final. Coaching the San Antonio Spurs legend Greg PopovicThe United States won thanks to the presence of many NBA stars, such as Kevin DurantAnd the Zach LavigneAnd the Draymond Green or Jason Tatum.
from now on, Steve care, the Golden State Warriors coach, is the head coach of Team USA. The chances are great to see his star and four-time NBA champion, Stephen Curryto integrate this team, especially as he announced that despite his phenomenal record, he was “not finished” and that he should “go and play for coach Kerr in Paris 2024”.
On home soil, France will also join the gold medal race after their strong performance in Tokyo 2020, where they reached the final against the United States. Rudy Gobert And the Evan Fournier They are his stars, he can also be the star center in the NBA Joel Embiidwho recently obtained French citizenship. Lots of ingredients that could allow France to create a surprise.
Slovenia, which reached the round of four in Tokyo 2020, could also be a strong contender. She counts as a leader Luka DoncicShe was selected three times in the All-Star Game.
On the women’s side, US dominance is greater, with Americans winning the last seven gold medals. Since women’s basketball was added to the Olympic program in Montreal 1976, they have won 9 of the 12 titles at stake.
In Tokyo 2020, WNBA stars So Bird And the Diana Taurasi She won her fifth Olympic title, becoming the only basketball player to achieve this feat after outselling another legend, Theresa Edwards.
Bird will retire at the end of the 2022 WNBA season, while Taurasi may be in the game in Paris, who recently became the first player over 40 to score more than 30 points in a single MLS game, specifically with Phoenix Mercury. In the NBA, alone Michael Jordan And the Dirk Nowitzki They achieved such a feat.
If Team USA remains the favorite to win the eighth title in a row, France will be among the overseas teams. She counts as a leader johannes navywho currently plays for the New York Liberty team, and the strong winger Eliana Robert.
Belgium, which has come a long way in recent years thanks to players like Emma MesmanIt could also come as a surprise after reaching the quarter-finals of Tokyo 2020, where they lost to hosts Japan (86-85).
With an impressive playing style and a player taller of just 1.85 meters at the Tokyo 2020 Games, Japan will also serve as title contenders in France, as well as the Australian team, which is always present in the major competitions.
Paris 2024 Basketball Qualifiers Schedule
- September 22 – October 1, 2022: FIFA Women’s Basketball World Cup 2022, Australia
- June 2023: FIBA Women’s European Cup 2023
- August 2023: FIBA Pre-Olympic Qualifiers
- August 25 – September 10, 2023: Basketball World Cup 2023, Philippines, Japan and Indonesia
- November 2023: FIBA Women’s Olympic Pre-Qualifiers
- November 30, 2023: The International Olympic Committees of the International Basketball Federation (FIBA) will confirm the use of the quota for women’s and men’s events
- February 2024: FIBA Women’s Olympic Qualifier 2024 Championships
- To select: FIBA 2024 Olympic Qualifying Tournaments
- July 8, 2024: The last date for registration of athletes in Paris 2024
- July 26 – August 11, 2024: Paris 2024 Olympic Games
Read also – Paris 2024 tickets: the latest news
Qualification systems for the Paris 2024 Olympic Games
See the qualifying regulations for each sport for the Paris 2024 Olympic Games